In Argentina the panqueques con dulce de leche are famous, but as I like to try new things I decided to put to taste some American traditions. Since my childhood I saw in movies like Matilda preparing mini pancakes, or more recently, Rufus Humphrey famous waffles. I kept searching and searching about this weird fluffy thingis, and on a trip I discovered a franchise called I-HOP (if I have to be honest at first I thought it was a place that sold mattresses…) Anyway, it turned out to be my sanctuary, International House Of Pancakes. Do you know other acronym that could make you that happy? Well not my case. My love for pancakes, which are truly the same as the panqueque but more thick, was growing and growing. So I challenged myself to create the best recipe for pancakes that might exist (well, or at least one that could please me). Two yeras have come around and this is what i created:
- 2 cups flour
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- a little salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 4 eggs (yolks and whites separately)
- 2 cups milk
- a tablespoon of white vinegar
Let´s start bakin:
1. In a large bowl sift the flour, it is important this step because it prevents crumbs to form.
2. Add 3 tablespoons sugar, baking powder and salt.
3. In another bowl separate the yolks from the whites. It is important to beat the whites until stiff because that will make the pancakes super fluffy.
4. Add the vinegar to the milk and then into the egg whiths. Why vinegar? There is something in the United States called buttermilk, as in Argentina we don´t have it, I discovered that the way to do it was adding vinegar. If you aren´t brave enough, with milk alone it´s more than ok, but it really makes a difference.
5. In another bowl (yes, until now we have 3 different bowls) beat the egg yolks. Add the remaining tablespoon of sugar and vanilla essence. When the butter is cold, it is important that it is cold because if not you can crumble the eggs, pour it over the mixture.
6. Incorporate egg yolk mixture to the one of the egg whites. Stir very slowly, you should do it with a spatula, for we don´t want to lose the air that had formed above.
7. Combine the latter mixture with the dry ingredients of the first bowl. Do not use blender! If you want the result to be: high and fluffy pancakes you need to mix by hand. We do not want crumbs, but we do want the dough to be very thick, veeeery thick. As soon as you see that everything is well incorporated must stop.
8. In a skillet add a little butter and let it melt. Medium / low heat is best. Put a tablespoon of the mixture, I sometimes use an ice cream scoop to pour the batter. Do not move the pancake or anything alone will expand.
9. Use this time to think about your special someone. When you see that there are bubbles in the center and the edges are golden brown, it is time to turn it around. TURN IT ONLY ONCE! (I excites me to see how it starts to rise … yes those little things make me happy)
10. Now it’s time to serve it. Extreme happiness is achieved if three pancakes are stacked one on top of the other and then throwed a generous amount of chocolate or caramel sauce. And you can be even happier if you add slices of banana or strawberry.